Sunday, August 21, 2011

Big Questions tonight???

David & I believe that dinner time as a family is very important. This is where we as a family go over our day and just talk! Everyone gets a chance to talk and open up about things they are doing and dealing with. This also gives us a chance as a family to pray together.
 Recently we had an interesting dinner conversation. The kids were asking me about my years in high school......Some of the best memories of those years were with my youth group and my church. But other than that I don't really talk about those years of my life. Don't get me wrong, there are those really good memories, but I have a lot of BAD ones too!!!
 While going through the bad times I never wanted to talk about how I was feeling or what was going on, because I got told that it is "all high school drama" and it didn't matter. What the problem is, is what was going on did matter and did need to be taken care of. Please understand, I was a good kid, but there are certain things where parents need to be aware and active in their child's life. Having to deal with these situations alone (before David and I were married) has made me a stronger person and more aware of the needs of young people. I felt alone a lot, but I knew Christ was there with me through all of my trials. I was a very QUIET kid in school. I still have to know you pretty well before I open up. I think this goes back to me not being able to express my opinions and feelings for things. I was always told that "this is the way life is, just deal with it", but it is not that way. High schoolers have feelings and opinions about things. I believe as parents we need to LISTEN to them and guide them.  Their high school years are the molding years to their adult life.
 Being there for our children is something that David & I try to do all the time.  We want to be the one they come to as their Mom & Dad! When the say the word MOM, MAMA, or MOMMY, and DAD, or DADDY we are the ones who should be answering and NO ONE else. It is like when we call out to our Heavenly Father we want him and no one else.
 I do have one thing that NO one can take away from me, and that is Jesus Christ, no matter what is going on I know that Christ will listen to me!!! This has always been a great help to me.
 David and I have always agreed that as parents we want our kids to have more than we had. I want people to consider me a person who has a voice and opinion on certain things. I would think I have and have had some good ideas and dreams, but as a young person I felt like these ideas and dreams were squashed! I don't want that for our children.  I would hope as a parent I have allowed my children to express their ideas, opinions, & dreams.  I don't want to be a squasher of ideas and dreams!!!.
 Family time around the dinner table can be a wonderful time to express ourselves and grow. I know it is for us!

No comments: