Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Midnight calls

NO ONE ever likes midnight calls! When the phone rang March 30 at 1:12am and I heard the panic in my staff's voice I knew it was bad, but I never dreamed it would be for by brother. When they screamed that he had no pulse and was not breathing I was so shocked.  David ran next door and started helping get the process of CPR going with the staff which they had already started. They were using the AED on him too, but nothing.  The paramedics got there and took over.  They were able to get a faint pulse and heart beat back.  I just knew within my heart that he was already gone. The paramedics rush off to the hospital with Ben. While on the way to the hospital Ben coded two times. We got to the hospital about the same time the ambulance did.  It seemed like forever until we could go back and talk to someone. Finally, Mom & Dad where able to go back. When they came back out they said that the doctors were going to go do a CAT Scan of his brain to seem if he had a bleeder, but the scan showed that his gray matter was much larger than it was suppose to be. His brain also herniated. At this point we knew that this was very BAD. What we learned over the next few days is doctors have to do everything by the book. As they kept telling us it is PROTOCOL. We had to wait for blood tests, scans etc.....At this point I was just not wanting him to suffer anymore. God was showing us through this whole experience to be patience and rely on him. He was about to show us something totally amazing.  On Sunday when the doctors where going to pull the ventilator they realized that Ben was a candidate for organ donation.  How awesome is that I knew I was going to lose my brother, but his organs were going to give someone else a chance at life. I am sad for the fact that I won't be able to see him anymore, but his legacy is going to live on. As I am typing this Ben is in the OR giving life to other people, but we have to rejoice in the fact that Ben is dancing and singing with Jesus!!



No comments: